Monday, January 7, 2013

Oh Shakespeare, we meet again!

Sometimes I don't even want to pick up a book if the name Shakespeare is anywhere on the cover of on the pages within. Just thinking about reading it gives me a headache and a chore that I forgot to do pops back into my mind. I know what I'm saying right now is probably causing a few of you a headache but hey, that's why we have blogs! This way I can say what I feel and you can say what you  feel. Once we're done we can all join in a great big group hug! But before that let's chat about some of the plays I've read. Freshmen year I read A Midsummer's Night Dream, junior year I read King Lear, and this year as a senior I read Hamlet. Each play I waited until the very last minute to read them so maybe I don't have the basis to say that they weren't as fabulous as many people see his works as. To start, it's terrible trying to follow a play in a seeming foreign language and little knowledge of what's going on.
My taste in Shakespeare has been refined as I've read more of his things and been taught the intricacy of his writing and the brilliance or his nature. I have a greater appreciation for him now, as a senior in AP Lit than ever before. Maybe with time and more challenge I'll be able to find the joy on his works but I'm not so sure I'll ever be taken. I don't deny his brilliance and incredible knowledge throughout his plays but he isn't my all time favorite. Sorry if I offended anyone. Group hug now...?

2 comments:

  1. "Sometimes I don't even want to pick up a book if the name Shakespeare is anywhere on the cover of on the pages within."

    Inspiring words from Jacqui Reis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch them instead of read them. Usually works.

    ReplyDelete