Sunday, January 6, 2013

Everyone is bad

Being honest, I read this book because it was reviewed by the SAT committee for being a good big that will help expand the vocabulary that has been previously been found on the exam. It was the shortest book of the options I had so I bought it and began reading. I'm not into the particularly dark nature of this book but I was hoping to improve my verbal skills. I ruined it for myself by finding it the ending before I read the book. It was eerie and at parts I felt a disturbed sense about it. It was brutal and violent but I couldn't put it down. It was brilliant! Others usually offer a character in their novel that foils the protagonist. By doing this they expose the traits of the character in a deeper way because of the opposites that are shown. In this case, the characters, portrayed as being different people in every way down to their morals end up being the same person.

I enjoyed that the reader is offered two opposite characters that help to understand both of their purposes to the novel. Learning that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are the same person shakes me. It's so easy in the end though to look at that the character as one person because each of us is bogged down with a different and immoral beast inside us. Whether we are aware of that or not is up to the person in question. Humans are not perfect but we aren't ravage beasts. It's the case of us needing to be good people but also free to have the ability to do as we which. I didn't take the violent message of the book but rather that as humans we must know who we are before a hidden desire of an identity comes out.



No comments:

Post a Comment