Sunday, October 14, 2012

Decisions

It's Sunday night and things aren't going too well. I'm incredibly caught up in the stresses of senior year. College applications, work load, and adjusting to everything that's going on with day to day life. In my world of reading I haven't been indulging in many works that have any quality worth my time or attention span. I just wanted to write a quick post about my essay on Ethan Frome. I admit I read this novel a few years back but I still love the importance of stream of consciousness throughout the story. Ethan is in his own head, constantly and beating himself up over whether or not he should pursue his infatuation with Mattie and run away with her. Everyone has an internal voice or stream of consciousness that is constantly playing. We are faced with options and decisions that need to be made. But, they all become too much sometimes and lead us to a place that is far worse than where we started. For Ethan and Mattie, the rest of their lives will be spent being cared for by Ethan's wife and for me, who knows. I'm just hoping the consequences of my choices are good and move me forward rather than hold me back.

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking that you are in a better place than Ethan. I wanted to scream "just deal with it already" at him for the second half of the book. You ARE dealing with it, so there is some intense anxiety now, but I think it will pay off much better than that suicidal ride down the snowy hill...

    ReplyDelete