Monday, October 15, 2012

It's too far stretched

Today we discussed The Secret Agent and whether we viewed it as a comedy or as a tragedy. I honestly, find this novel to be a comedy. Aside from the terrible events leading up to Stevie's death, I don't see much else that is tragic. Verloc isn't a character I disliked but his presence was monotonous and didn't add much to the entirety of the book. And Winnie, a darling and caring sister and reasonably good character, had no real tie on my heart. Before the end, when the murder and deaths begin I was just annoyed with the writing and how little plot was developing. When I reached the end I was waiting for the end. It was all too planned, too expected. It was almost too much to have the story end with all of the characters dying. I wasn't a fan of the end of King Lear and in my mind the endings of the two pieces are the same. I couldn't feel sadness for anyone but Stevie and once the murder of Verloc and suicide of Winnie came about I wasn't impressed. There is also comical situations and dialogue throughout the book. In combination with the comical tone set throughout the book I couldn't take the end too harshly. It was just too much. I classified it as a comedy but understand why people believe its a tragedy. Feel free to respond if you have a different take.

1 comment:

  1. I almost cannot count the number of incidences of situational irony in this novel--it is dizzying. I think we might have to talk about black comedy in class now instead of later with As I Lay Dying. the mix of stock characters and dynamic characters and the parallel characterization, makes it almost impossible to avoid the label "comedy"

    just how far it goes, well, that is still open for discussion.

    ReplyDelete