Friday, October 19, 2012

Those wonderful books you find by complete accident...

We have a reading day in Creative and Critical once a cycle and on the first one I forgot to get a book. Fearing that I would get into trouble for not having a book ready I quickly ran to Mrs. Healey's room to find something quick. I had little time but saw a book with Margaraet Atwood's name on the spine and I grabbed it. I didn't even read the name but later found it was The Penelopiad. I was excited because one of my favorite books is written by Atwood as well. Atwood is a feminist writer and emphasizes the importance of women in all aspects of all. In the book I'm currently reading she is shifting the view of the Illyiad to Odeseus' wife's view. His wife Penelope is recanting her life story as the wife of he famous hero and her point of view. Few authors go back and choose to write an Ancient Greek myth from the point of view of a woman. Atwood uses her own personal beliefs in the equality of women throughout her books. As a reader, I see her strong feminist approach and love the focus she keeps on strictly the women characters. So far, I'm loving the book and when I'm done I'll return it to you and hopefully find another one of Atwood's brilliant novels!

2 comments:

  1. I laughed all the way through, but mostly because I "recognized" Penelope. She felt like me. Another Atwood win.

    ReplyDelete